Grand Lido Negril - Negril, Jamaica
Grand Lido Negril welcomes adults only singles, couples, triples and quads who enjoy venues catering to nudists and naturists for an all-inclusive resort vacation. Double bedded suites can accommodate up to 4 adults, a good value for friends. Singles are welcome. Grand Lido Negril is an upscale, tropical property providing the newest addition to nude, adults only resort choices on Jamaica in Negril a little over an hour west of Montego Bay. Nudity is compulsory although compliance may vary. Clothing is required to dine at the main resort, Royalton Negril, steps away from Grand Lido.
BONUS: Call Castaways for Swim Out Suites Specials (no E mail orders please) Get A Room
Book by JUNE 30, 2019. Travel now to October 31, 2019. Black out dates and other Terms & Conditions apply.
PENTHOUSE ONE BEDROOM SUITE OCEAN VIEW TERRACE JACUZZI
Grand Lido Negril Resort is part of the Royalton Negril complex above comprising: Royalton Negril (families), Hideaway by Royalton (adults only) and Grand Lido for adults only, nude holidays. Nudity is expected although compliance may vary. In the photo above, Grand Lido Negril is last building on right with 26 suites. The complex is all inclusive: That is, if you're a guest at Grand Lido Negril, you can dine and imbibe at any of the restaurants next door at Royalton Negril or Hideaways by Royalton (Adults only) without charge (clothing required). Guests at Grand Lido Negril are served complimentary at the two resorts next door which are all-inclusive. (The fine dining restaurant at Royalton Negril with gourmet cuisine has a cover charge).
See Get A Room This is not a reservation, it's a request for quote.
See Trip Report & Photos from James & Champagne: Trip Report and Photos including video clips
See a short video of a walking tour at Grand Lido Negril from James & "Champagne" Donna.
See this PDF Fact Sheet for Grand Lido Negri
No doubt, the pool, grill, hot tub and ocean entrance adjacent to the grill are the focal points of the resort. See below for swim up grill/ocean entrance, sandy lounge area and hot tub
Grand Lido is an upscale and tropical property providing the newest addition to clothing optional resort choices on Jamaica's west end at Negril.
See Get A Room This is not a reservation, it's a request for quote
A Passport is required to enter Jamaica. Check the expiration date of yours. Visas may be required depending on your country of citizenship. Check Jamaica Visa Requirements for your country.
Built on a beautiful bay facing the western Caribbean, this tropical resort on the far western tip of Jamaica is in Negril, about 50 miles west of Montego Bay. Grand Lido Negril is a part of the Royalton's vacation complex including Royalton Negril for families and Hideaway by Royalton for adults only. The town center of Negril is about 5 miles west with a craft market, stores, and a several beach view bars. Take a sunset catamaran cruise right from the resort or avoid the throng and visit Xtabi or Rock House on Negril's west end road.
Most travelers fly into Montego Bay. You may elect to take a shuttle or taxi to the property or fly from Montego Bay to Negril on an air taxi such as Tim Air. Costs range from $150-$200 per person one way and take 15-20 minutes. (Price subject to change without notice). The resort is across the street from Negril airstrip. The bus or taxi ride takes a little over an hour to an hour and a half.
Avoid the airport crowds? Reserve your spot at Club MoBay, an upscale traveler’s lounge in the newest section of the Montego Bay Airport. The Club provides expedited arrival, customs/immigration, and departure services in addition to Club admission, all-inclusive, with drinks, bar service and snacks, WiFi, satellite TV provided.
The beach road to Negril is scenically beautiful. The trip requires less than an hour and a half to reach Negril from the Montego Bay airport. The Negril airstrip is across the street from the Royalton and Grand Lido Negril.
You can make reservations for Tim Air or others on the internet outbound (https://www.timair.net) and at the resort’s tour desk for a return flight.
Take your pick of flights that service Jamaica, but plan to fly into Montego Bay as your final destination since it’s the closest international airport. Shuttle transfers service is available at the Mo Bay airport, and you can arrange them with Castaways Travel if your flight itinerary is available. Castaways provides standard airport transfers.
Kingston is several hours away over mountainous roads. Airport transfers are not provided from Kingston; you have to make your way via taxi….and the trip can be expensive and long.
Air Options: American Airlines, Delta, United, Jet Blue, Southwest, Spirit and more; Thompson, Martin and Condor others from Europe plus many scheduled European air carriers service Jamaica. The most charters originate in Europe from the UK, Belgium, Italy, Germany, Russia and the Netherlands. Air carriers are subject to change without notice and pricing varies widely. Contact Castaways Travel for scheduled air arrangements.
Resort services described below are subject to change without notice by the resort due to enhancements, special occasions or modifications on the property.
Your vacation package is all-inclusive which means all your basics are provided for in one price: Room accommodations, all meals/snacks, bar drinks, bar drinks, beer, wine, liquor, water sports, activities, entertainment, hotel taxes, and gratuities. All 26 rooms are located within the Royalton Negril complex. Guest quarters contain a king bed, clock/radio, telephone, television/satellite TV, coffee maker and private bath. Other features on-site include fitness center, beauty spa, sailing, snorkeling, SCUBA diving, tennis. Nearby, local beach vendors offer Jet skis and parasailing behind a boat. NOTE: You participate at your own risk if you rent the equipment for personal use. Tips or gratuities are included in your room rate but many Castaways clients do a little extra for employees they may find performing beyond the call of duty.
- Butler Service
- Preferential reservations in à la carte restaurants at adjacent facilities at Royalton Negril and Hideaway by Royalton
- Distinctive wrist bracelet
- Selection of in-suite liquors
- Personalized check-in and check-out
- Hors d’oeuvres and snacks served poolside daily
- Upgraded room service menu
- Club MoBay Service: At Sangster International Airport guests receive fast track and personalized meet & greet services plus access to an exclusive Lounge
- Private Airport Transfers: Presidential Suite guests receive free airport transfers both to and from Grand Lido. Castaways provides standard airport transfers for other suites.
- Reggae Bar & Grill exclusive to Grand Lido
- Full access to all-inclusive amenities on site as well as two nearby luxury resorts - Royalton Negril and the adults only Hideaway by Royalton.
- Minimum 21 years of age
Make sure you ask your waiter’s name, introduce yourself, be happy and converse with the locals. Remember, Jamaica is a low-income island so be friendly but expect to be offered items for sale on the street. Drugs are against the law.
Health & Wellness
The Royal Spa at Royalton Negril is the ideal place to relax and rejuvenate on vacation. Spend a few hours getting pampered with our comprehensive spa packages or drop in for a 30-minute express treatment. The Royal Spa has a hydrotherapy circuit and a full range of massage, body and facial treatments.
Modern Tech Features
Stay in touch on all your devices, with free Wi- Fi throughout the resort, unlimited in-room long distance calling to Canada, US and most of Europe, and long distance calling while in the resort, USB recharge station and Bluetooth speakers in room.
Water sports, gift shop, photo gallery, conference facilities, events and activities for groups, laundry, selection of premium drinks, The Royal Spa, tours and medical services.
See this PDF Fact Sheet for Grand Lido Negril
You will find the living is easy in Negril and at Grand Lido Negril. The focus or Grand Lido is around the pool primarily. The main energy of the 3 resorts centers around the main activity functions at the restaurants, entertainment courtyard, the main beaches and beach bars. To visit any of the activity areas and restaurants on site, there's no need to get dressed up unless you're willing to or your spouse insists. No coats or ties are required. A jacket for the guys plus long pants might be a nice touch to visit the gourmet restaurant, C/X Culinary Experience ($) | Chef’s Table(extra charge).
Vacations include daily activities and nightly entertainment as well as non-motorized water sports such as snorkeling, kayaking, and an introductory scuba diving lesson.
And speaking of "no" - just to be clear., no public sex,
There are many sights to see locally other than beaches, sparkling Caribbean sea, and beautiful coral cliffs.
Shopping for crafts at the local market across the road from Royalton and Grand Lido Negril is a good place to start and costs nothing unless you buy something. The locals are fun to kid with but be ready to bargain if you find that certain something that catches your eye.
Hosted tours can be arranged at the resort’s Tour Desk and there are a couple of small native craft markets there, one near the resort, across the street. TIP: Take cash with you for the craft markets. Most vendors cannot accept credit cards. You can also choose to visit Montego Bay for a day of shopping, Mandeville for a trip to the mountains, cliffs at Rick’s, raft the rivers or visit Dunn’s River Falls near Ocho Rios. At least 30-40 off-site tours are available from the tour desk. A trip from Negril to Ocho Rios (through Montego Bay) is a hike, requiring at least 3 hours, one way. An overrated trip to Rick’s Cafe on the western seaside cliffs in Negril for a beer at sunset is always a common, if overhyped, “in thing” to do. Down the beach from Royalton is Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville, good for an afternoon or evening exploring and sampling the imported “culture” from Key West. Cosmo’s Restaurant is down the road a mile or so, also good for some of the best and freshest grilled seafood in Negril… prepared to order.
Did You Know…
Castaways Travel KNOWS the surrounding area around Negril to help you plan to get the most out of your holiday in and around there and the local areas plus Montego Bay.
For a fun and games and little bit different nightlife off the resort in Negril, try Risky Business, The Jungle and Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville for night time adult mischief. All of these watering holes are on the main street (Norman Manley Blvd) headed to Negril, a short taxi ride away. ALERT: These places tend to change names or new locations can crop up so ask the Tour Desk for their latest recommendations.
One little venture we enjoy is to take a taxi to west end Negril and have a beer or a meal at one of the little cliff-side resorts and restaurants there. Rock House is one of our favorites as is Xtabi on the west end, a neat bar for a beer at sunset, a less crowded venue than Ricks and a nice restaurant for a change of pace from the resort scene.
Restaurants & Bars at Grand Lido
Enjoy delectable treats around the clock at nearby Royalton Negril or Hideaway at Royalton Negril where options range from casual to formal. A steakhouse Italian trattoria and international buffet are among a variety of modern restaurants. Light snacks are just as plentiful, with an ice cream bar and European style café all onsite. For those seeking some quiet time, convenient room service is available 24 hours. NOTE: Clothing is required to use all facilities at Royalton Negril and Hideaway by Royalton.
Enjoy a variety of gourmet selections. Discover an array of cuisines found at many diverse food stations, designed to offer world-class meals during breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Dorado | Seafood & Grill
Watch the sun rise over the ocean in the morning or relax in the cool evening ambiance of this elevated beachfront restaurant. Exclusive to guests of Hideaway at Royalton Negril and Grand Lido, a menu of the freshest selections are available any time. Specialties are fresh smoothies, light ceviche and garden salads with fresh seafood and grilled items.
This unique restaurant offers guests a grand steakhouse experience. Watch chefs in the open kitchen as they perfectly prepare your steak.
Grazie Italian Trattoria
Enjoy a wide range of Italian cuisine at this delicious trattoria. Its authentic design and traditional menu make this restaurant the perfect place to enjoy well-known Italian comfort food.
SCORE Sports Bar & Lounge
In a casual atmosphere savor an ever evolving menu of grilled specialties for a comfortable and familiar meal.
Calypso | West Indies Cuisine
Taste the culinary treasures of the West Indies at this stylish and modern restaurant with artfully prepared dishes.
Zen | Asian Cuisine
Be amazed by the flavor and technique of masterfully prepared teppanyaki as it happens right before your eyes.
Armadillo | Tex-Mex Cuisine
An authentic Tex-Mex experience awaits in this fusion restaurant, the perfect setting to enjoy authentic favorites like sizzling fajitas, fresh grilled seafood, and delectable hickory smoked meats.
Ocean Point Bistro
Savor gourmet creations from a French menu of fresh selections with a perfect view that overlooks the water. This oceanfront adults-only restaurant is the perfect place to enjoy any meal of the day.
C/X Culinary Experience ($) | Chef’s Table
Pleasing to the eye and palette, a vibrant menu is sure to create a memorable dining experience as your personal chef takes you through seven courses with musical selections to accompany each dish.
Guests are never far from refreshments at eight themed bars and one café found at Royalton Negril and the adults-only Hideaway at Royalton Negril.
Dips Pool Bar | Lobby Bar | Martini Mix | Sands Beach Bar | XS Disco Bar
Rooms and Rates
Rates - See Get A Room
This is not a reservation, it's a request for quote based on wholesale rates. These are private rates that cannot be posted publicly.
Luxury Accommodations at Grand Lido Negril
Grand Lido’s 26 luxurious suites feature premium handcrafted beds topped with high thread-count sheets, USB recharge and Bluetooth audio stations, free high speed Wi-Fi resort-wide for all devices, in-room safe with interior power outlet, duel-head ceiling-mounted rain shower, satellite television with specialty channels, minibar restocked daily, 24-hour room service, iron and board, in-suite coffee/tea maker, hairdryer, and each room features a balcony or terrace. The small intimate size makes Grand Lido™ perfect for group vacations.
Rooms and suites are offered in several categories. The resort is clothing optional throughout except for public areas.
Sunset Ocean View Suite
Each day, guests rise to greet the day in an ocean view room after a heavenly night’s sleep atop a king-sized or two queen-sized handcrafted beds. This room is complete with an in-suite Jacuzzi soaker tub, rain shower, dual sinks, living area with a sofa bed and unobstructed views of the ocean from a private balcony or terrace. Maximum occupancy: 4
Sunset Swim Out Suite
Each day, guests awake in a preferential room after a heavenly night’s sleep atop in one king-sized or two queen-sized handcrafted bed. This room is complete with an in-suite Jacuzzi soaker tub, rain shower, dual sinks, living area with a sofa bed and views of the ocean from a terrace. Just beyond the terrace, a private swim out pool offers an exclusive place to sip afternoon cocktails in tranquility. Maximum occupancy: 4
Presidential One Bedroom Ocean View Suite
The Presidential Suite is designed to exude a more privileged feel, with exclusive premium amenities including an upgraded room service menu and in-suite spirits. A king-sized premium handcrafted mattress full bathroom with separated toilet and dual washbowls, walk-in closet and indoor Jacuzzi are set apart from a spacious sitting area with a comfortable sofa bed and a guest bathroom. Beyond the living area, guests can watch the sunset from a private balcony or terrace. Maximum occupancy: 4
Lido Luxury Extras include: 26 elegantly styled suites, Butler Service, unlimited dining and premium drinks, modern tech features of free high-speed Wi-Fi resort-wide, in-room Bluetooth speakers, USB re-charge stations, free calls to North America and most of Europe, satellite television with specialty channels and plenty of daily entertainment with nightly shows at the neighboring resorts.
Also, a selection of premium services are offered at Grand Lido and include the ease of Butler Service, a secluded pool, Reggae Bar, and Grill, as well as all modern amenities at neighboring Royalton Negril or the adults-only Hideaway at Royalton Negril
Uppers & Downers
Here are common Questions & Answers received so far. Answers are from Royalton management about Grand Lido Negril (GLN):
- Are both adult Singles and adult Couples welcome as Grand Lido Negril (GLN) clients? YES
- Will guests at Royalton Negril or Hideaway by Royalton be permitted to visit GLN? NO
- Is Grand Lido Negril for use only by paying clients staying at GLN? YES
- Are airport transfers extra? YES (but Castaways provides standard transfers)
- Will day passes be offered at GLN? If so, how much? We do not have day pass rates due to exclusivity
- What is the minimum night stay? 3 nights
- Will spa/gym be available at GLN? No, facilities will be located only in the main building at Royalton Negril
- Where will dining and spa services be offered? At Royalton Negril complex
- Will all Grand Lido Negril guests receive Club MoBay services at the airport? YES
- Do guests in Presidential Suite receive private airport transfers? YES
- What is the pricing for 3rd and 4th persons in a suite? 75% of standard suite price/person.
- Where are dining facilities at Grand Lido Negril? Restaurants are located at Royalton Negril and one in Hideaway. A walk is required to visit them. No restaurant at GLN although the Ocean Point outside bistro is immediately adjacent to the Grand Lido building. Room service is available at GLN.
- Is there a nude beach? An oceanfront access is available for snorkeling and diving. A sandy sunning area with chaise lounges are in ocean side.
- Is there a Hot Tub at GLN? Yes
- Is there a nude pool and pool deck? Yes
- Is there a grill at the pool bar? Yes
- Is there a Swim Up bar with pool access? Yes
- Is the resort lifestyle friendly? The resort welcomes au natural nudist and naturists clients. Sexual advances towards others will not be tolerated. Intimate touching or explicit sexual behavior in public areas is strictly prohibited. See Operating Rules at bottom of this report.
At Grand Lido Negril adults 21 and over are welcome. You will find all ages of adults there from 20's to 70's.
At Royalton Negril, families, singles, couples and all adults are welcome while the Hideaway by Royalton is adults only of all ages 21 and over.
See this PDF Fact Sheet for Grand Lido Negril
Fall, winter and early spring can be less humid than late summer. Summertime through the fall months can be a bit more humid, with daily rain showers possible, actually year round….it’s called the tropics for a good reason. Standard procedure–hit the hot tub if it does rain with a drink in hand. Late August through early October can include unstable weather due to storm season, although they’re rare. Room rates are generally higher from about Christmas to the end of April, with holiday rates higher than at any time during the year. Late summer and fall may be the least expensive.
Grand Lido Negril Rules
- Minimum check-in age: 21 years old.
- Photography, video recording, webcam broadcasts- including cell phones - are strictly prohibited. Permission to carry a camera is only allowed during authorized resort marketing purposes, and requires official legal documentation and model releases.
- All guests are to use discretion and respect others. Resort staff will immediately deal with complaints of gawking or disrespectful behavior.
- Sexual advances towards others will not be tolerated as we protect the comfort of guests. If anyone’s actions make you uncomfortable, notify resort staff immediately.
- Intimate touching or explicit sexual behavior in public areas is strictly prohibited. If anyone’s behavior offends you, please report it immediately to resort staff.
- Inappropriate behavior between guests and staff is not allowed.
- There will be no smoking inside suites, restaurants or resort buildings.
- The use of illegal drugs of any kind is strictly prohibited.
- Guests are welcome to enjoy facilities at Royalton Negril and Hideaway at Royalton Negril, but must be fully clothed for access.
- Management reserves the right to remove guests from the resort without refund for any violations of the above rules.
More recent photos Here
The first Album below are Resort provided images showing the various views and amenities around the Royalton Resort.
The following album has site inspection photos from late April 2017. These are around the Royaltan Resort and Hideaway by Royalton portion of the resort, NOT Grand Lido, (yet), although room interiors are comparable..
Trip Reports (newest on top)
Consensus: The longer the resort is open, the better it gets!
July 2019 JC & B Couple - First Visit
From the time we exited the plane in Jamaica, it was apparent we had booked through the right people. Club Mobay was totally awesome, and after reaching Grand Lido, EVERYONE made us feel special and tended to our every need and want.
June 2019 SB Naturist Couple
● ROOM - room was very well appointed and upscale. We had a king-sized bed, a balcony with a nice view of the pools and the open water. The shower was large. We never used the tub. It was nice to grab a soda from the fridge without worrying about the cost! The balcony offered good views of the ever-present cave swallows, Antillean nighthawks, loggerhead kingbirds, and other birds.
● RESORT SERVICE - Service was great. Everyone was friendly and helpful. An employee even let me borrow a mask and snorkel to go snorkeling out in the ocean. The snorkeling was definitely a highlight. There was a variety of corals, starfish, urchins, and lots of fish.
● DINING - We ate at the sports bar (the food and service here were not very good and the sports on tv are the same as what’s in the room - no satellite I guess), breakfast buffet (lots of variety, lots of good things to find), the steakhouse (good food, love the cow skull lamps), and the oceanside restaurant (same view as the room, good food).
● NUDE POOL, HOT TUB, POOL GRILL - The pools were nice. There is a pool with chairs and umbrellas to hang out next to, and the swim up bar was nice touch. We ate lunch at the bar one day (jerk chicken) and it was freshly grilled right there and really good. Definitely recommended. It was fun watching the greater-Antillean grackles soaking bread and other food in the water before eating it or feeding it to fledglings.
● AMBIANCE - The ambiance was great throughout. Very friendly. The resort is actually quite large. It is definitely worth exploring.
● ENTERTAINMENT IF ANY - We didn’t take in any of the entertainment.
● OTHER COMMENTS - The resort is really overall very nice if quieter than we expected. It was great having the adults only resort buffering us from the family resort (no children screaming down the halls or sidewalks, etc). We’ve never done the all-inclusive thing before, so that took some getting used to. It’s weird to finish a meal and just walk away! The Grand Lido area itself is very small. There isn’t really anything you can do nude except enjoy the two pools and snorkeling. The balconies felt exposed to the oceanside restaurant area and the neighboring resort (I guess snorkeling was as well) and the boats that go by pretty often. It would be nice if there were more activities and more room to walk around for nudists. (Castaways Note: Saturdays, the resort sponsors a picnic/cookout for all GLN guests and Wednesday is a cocktail party and 4 course dinner at the Ocean Point Bistro adjacent to GLN building.)
June 2019 B & S Couple, Last minute reservation
We had a great time and the staff was outstanding from the Butler Damari along with everyone we encountered. We would definitely recommend a Swim Up Suite!!
ALSO: Just wanted to give a shout out to Lori who went above and beyond to take care of us last minute
February 2019 Naturist Couple J & S - New to GLN
Jamaica Grand Lido Naturist Society Fund-Raiser Vacation!!
We had a superbly spacious room. The bed was ENORMOUS & perfectly comfortable although alcohol and sun-soaking also contributed to the rare great-nights’ sleep we got.
Here are observations about maintenance:
The room did have a slight musty smell inside the drawers, which we worked around by keeping our very few clothing items in the ziplock bags we packed them in. The room included many full large bottles of hard alcohol, wine, beer, & soda. We didn’t ever really get how to use our room phone without putting it on speaker. Our tub had no drain stopper in it until the last night the butlers prepared an amazing bubble bath for us! The robes that were supposed to be provided for us never showed up-only the slippers did. Being naturists, not being robed didn’t matter much, but other customers might be bothered that they were not in the room when the package says it includes them. And strangely, there were no pens in the room though there were papers we were to sign regarding the cell phones provided for contacting our butlers. One of the two ceiling-mounted shower heads was tilted and did not let out a full spray & took a long time to get hot water. The outlet intended for the in-room coffee maker did not seem to be operable, so the first morning we made coffee at the sink like in a cheap motel(grrr) but the next day we were told that we just had to work the plug in because it was hard to get it plugged into the outlet—with this fancy a room in a luxury hotel—the coffee pot plug/outlet condition really should have been brought to our attention when we were first brought to the room, or better yet-corrected before it was reserved for customers.
Overall, our stay deserved a 4.9998 (out of 5 stars) because the butlers’ personal attention was phenomenal. Patrice our butler, & Anthony (whom we never met) made our last night unbelievably awesome for us!) Not quite a 5 star score only because of the musty smell and other above-mentioned shortcomings,
They made our room so romantic for when we walked in on our last night—to a super warm bubble bath with bubble foam piled high a foot or more above the tub, with flower petals and leaves all around it. It looked SO AMAZING that I screamed! I squealed in delight like a little child! We enjoyed that bath immensely! And the bed was decorated with a white swan folded from a towel, with flower petals and leaves all around it!
We spent nearly all of our time poolside just relaxing and meeting other couples, and of course we had to eat so we tried a different restaurant every day & or night. Our favorite eats were the shrimp and lamb at the poolside grill and the terrific seafood at the Ocean Bistro, along with the awesomely engaging and funny bar and wait staff.
We loved being our most bare selves at the au naturale area’s pools, the poolside bar, the hot tub. Mikhail the bartender, who played whatever music we wanted to hear, made us fantastic drinks, too! We also took a kayak out on the ocean one day, which was included with our package.
Also great was that our 3-night package included all meals, all alcohol, PREMIUM butler service, cleaning and ironing our laundry, room service, & the hydrotherapy pools & more perks we didn’t even use. We did not even go to the spa or the hydrotherapy pool or any daily all-morning offerings of exercise groups or the poker tournament or Jamaican history presentation that were included. We did enjoy the history of dance/cultural dance performances put on at the theater one evening that we happened to stroll upon on our last evening.
October 2018 Castaways Client Couple - Repeaters at Grand Lido Negril
Having stayed at the new Royalton GLN property last fall (2017), as well as our recent stay a couple weeks ago, we noticed some significant changes.
Positive changes at GLN:
- Addition of a nice sized hot tub,
- Addition of pool-side grill with Jamaican themed menu (not just burgers & fries)
- Addition of steps leading from upper pool deck to lower pool
- Addition of ladder from the pool area to the ocean waters (great for impromptu snorkeling)
- Our butlers weren’t as ‘interactive’ – which is a good thing for us. We don’t need someone to wait on us constantly. We let them know that up front.
Less than positive changes at GLN:
1. Damp, musty smell in the rooms- not just in our room but when we asked to be moved (at check-in & again 2 days later), several other options on the 1st & 2nd levels all had the same musty damp odor. I have mold allergies & suspect there’s mold within the walls or ventilation system. I was sick the first days of our stay and only improved when getting out of the room. We had to keep the patio doors open & ceiling fan on high in order to clear the odor, and prevent further allergic reaction.
2. ‘Au Natural’ was not necessarily enforced. We had no complaints this time as we met some very nice people that were upgraded to GLN from Hideaway who remained clothed. However, we just want to ensure that folks staying at GLN aren’t just ‘spectators’.
3. Deterioration within the buildings
a. The supports for the handrails going up/down stairs were not attached causing handrails to be wobbly & unstable.
b. Paint peeling off the pool/hot tub areas. When sitting or standing poolside, the paint stuck to our feet or bottoms, causing paint flakes in the pools. Other items we found is disrepair included tile floor trim laying loose in the hallways; pool deck areas were spongy or warped; elevator sporadically not working, the pergola outside the 2nd-floor patios were separating/popping up.
c. The 3rd-floor rooms were already being ‘renovated’ (really – only 18 months after the resort opened?!). Daily jack-hammering inside & outside the 3rd-floor rooms suggested major problems. We heard the Jacuzzis were leaking down to the lower floors & thus the ‘renovation’ was necessary (this supports the damp musty smell outlined in item 1 above).
4. The Ocean Point Bistro no longer offers breakfast. That was a nice option to the breakfast buffet.
5. Restaurant menus listed items that weren’t available. Several times we had long waits before ordering only to be advised at that point that the items we wanted weren’t available. Obviously, we started asking what items WERE available.
6. The Martini Bar has changed so drastically from last year to this year. They no longer had a drink menu to choose from, and when we started asking for our favorites from last year; we were told the ingredients weren’t available to make them.
7. No martini glasses available at any bar throughout the 3 resorts! This in itself is not a huge deterrent (we can drink martinis out of a tumbler or wine glass) - but what’s that all about?! The only reasons we were given: they break easily while being washed & new shipments haven’t arrived from Spain yet.
8. The sign at the hot tub listing ‘rules & regulations’ is situated so it blocks the view of the water. Not a huge issue, but it could easily be moved to allow for the view.
Not to dwell on the negative, but if this resort expects to continue billing themselves as an upscale/luxury resort they really need to improve & maintain its facility and services.
October 2017 PS Couple
Lori, I wanted to drop you both a quick note to let you know that while some improvements are still needed, we enjoyed the new Grand Lido Negril very much.
WE HAD A GREAT TIME & WANT TO GO BACK TO GLN - please keep us posted on rates for October 17-27, 2018.
A few comments to share with others that may be heading there soon:
1) The pool area is still in need of a hot tub & small grill/cafe & we were told work would start in December. CASTAWAYS NOTE: These improvements are now complete.
2) We lost power several times during the ten days we were there but none lasted more than a few minutes.
3) The room was great & the second-floor balcony gave a stunning view of the setting sun!!
4) The Dorado Seafood restaurant was closed all but one night during our stay due to some sort of issue. We did eat there the one night it was open, but the kitchen vents were not working & there was smoke throughout the restaurant. Food was good. The restaurant was closed the following night, which was the last night of our stay.
5) Buffet had excellent varieties of options; the outdoor restaurant at the Point was wonderfully romantic and quiet; & we loved the Martini Bar (even though there were kids allowed !?!?!)
6) We did not care for the quality of food at the Italian restaurant & the Japanese restaurant was not as quiet or intimate as we thought it should be - it was loud, fast-food hibachi. The options at Hunter Steak restaurant were disappointing.
7) Butler service is excellent - if you like to be catered to - but this isn't for us and we found it somewhat disruptive (they brought afternoon snack items to our room without us requesting them, & disrupted our 'nap time', etc). We understood up front that they expected to be tipped at the end of our stay & we felt OBLIGATED to pay them something for providing services we never requested or wanted. We went so far as to tell them we just didn't need or want butler service, except for coffee in the morning.
8) The resort is secluded from the rest of the Royalton property (some may not like that the pool area is clearly visible from the sunbathing area for the condos at the neighboring property).
9) Checking in was confusing as we were dropped off at the Hideaway desk, then escorted to our room at the Grand Lido Building to actually get checked in. Apparently, this is a standard process.
We'll book IF/WHEN the rates are close to (or less than) the rate we had this year - with or without airfare.
Lori, You both did an exceptional job for us!
August 2017 L & F Couple
We did travel to Grand Lido last minute in August 2017 (considering Club Orient was no longer available due to Hurricane Irma). Overall, we liked Grand Lido although there were some things they can improve upon - no grill yet at this side/pool, lousy service at bar/pool, very slow room service (ie had to call and cancel after 1.5 hours). It would be wonderful to at least have some water access even if a deck with stairs to the ocean; beach would probably be major to coordinate/install. There is a small beach close on Hideaway (adults only) area; however, no bar and it's not terribly convenient to the room (it's the building next door to Grand Lido). Our one butler was great; the other, not so. Food and grounds were very nice and impressive. We would go back if the prices do not go up. Occupancy was about half, although we have seen only one review since we returned.
July 2017 D.D. Castaways Client Couple
Our trip to Grand Lido Negril was fine. Castaways Travel (Jennifer) was very helpful with our reservation and transportation.
There were some great things and, of course, not so great. The resort and rooms are very nice. The only issue that we had is that there was probably only 4 rooms occupied at the most the entire week that we were there. (CASTAWAYS NOTE: This a startup period for the hotel; occupancy will increase especially for the high season late fall and winter).. They put us in 9009 swim up suite which had a view of tall bamboo only. 9010 will have the same issue. The one good point of it was that we were right on the end so it was easy to climb over the side wall to get down to the lounge chairs and other pool. Otherwise, if you were in the swim up pool, you would have to climb over the infinity edge or go into your room and walk around out the front door. When in the pool below the bartender would yell up asking if you needed a drink since the bar is not conveniently located. The issue that we had was when we were the only ones around the bartender wasn't around either!
The butlers were fantastic. (NOTE: Tipping is included) They give you a cell phone for your room to call them for anything. Even though we did not use that feature all that often, it was nice to be able to call for a drink from the bar. The butlers also come and pick you up for dinner, walk with you to the restaurants and also seat you and get your meal experience started.
The one thing that we were pleased with was the quality of the food at each restaurant that we ate at. The resort certainly prides itself on the quality of your meals. We didn't get to eat at the Tex-Mex restaurant, but we did eat at the rest. The buffets for breakfast and lunch were incredible. Something for every picky eater. The Italian restaurant was our least favorite and that is our favorite type of food. It was also nice for a change to not have to dress in slinky dresses for dinner. It was very casual with the exception of Dorado where a nice dress is welcomed.
The pool at the Hideaway resort was certainly fun with only adults. They had a DJ and kept everyone entertained and drinking. We did spend time there during the day. As stated above, we were mostly the only ones in the pool at Grand Lido. I have to say that the resort does a great job keeping children and families separated from the adults-only vacationers. You really see very few children around.
On a good note, while we were there the surveyors were there taking photos of the pool area as they are getting ready to start the renovation for a beach. We were also told that Grand Lido will have their own 'Jerk Hut'. We didn't hear anything about the addition of a hot tub as was mentioned in some of the other reviews.
The resort has potential as more vacationers visit the resort. It was extremely quiet for us which we didn't mind all that much. It was very relaxing for us. We found that all of the staff was very pleasant and they work hard to make your vacation enjoyable with nice personal touches.
The resort is huge and they do a nice job with security and keeping it clean. We would visit again after it gains some popularity and they complete the renovations for the beach, jerk hut and possible hot tub.
July 2017 T.M. Castaways Client Couple
Thank you for you above and beyond assistance with our trip to Grand Lido. We have NEVER been treated so royally! From Club Mobay (at the airport) thru being served lobster while in the pool (that I did not ask for... it pissed everyone else off seeing the royalty treatment we got)... We will never forget! And I truly mean it when everyone was mad that my butlers were doing so much for me. I guess they treated me as if I was the president (of some other country!) lol Truly above and beyond! Even met one of your (Castaways) crew (Marylin) in the pool the last couple of days. I highly recommend Lido for a very laid back atmosphere. I did hear a lot of couples say that they booked 1/2 time at Grand Lido and 1/2 at Hedonism (across the street) to balance relaxation and party portions of their trip. THANK YOU!!!!
July 2017 New Castaways Client Couple
It was a very enjoyable trip....the butlers Anthony and Deneisha were over the top. They catered to us better than other butlers did to their people or so it seemed in conversations with other guests at Grand Lido. I had a chance to talk in detail with Marilyn (from Castaways) when she came over for an afternoon.
The only disappointment came when we were leaving, and I was told we owed $2,000. They waited until we were trying to hurry to meet the shuttle. Luckily I had Castaways' confirmation (invoice) showing a zero balance. However it was obvious to me that this was just a 3rd world country doing business as usual, still, it was disappointing.
Thank you for everything your company did for us, and when we plan our next trip we will be in touch with your group.
June 2017 H L Castaways Client Couple
We stayed at Grand Lido Negril from June 19 to June 27, 2017. The resort is very nice, but it is very big. The Grand Lido part is small and is a nice getaway from the rest of the resort when you need a break. Personally, I could have done without the butlers, but it wasn't bad having them.
Anyway, as far as a Naturist resort, I wouldn't recommend it as it is now, It seems like the other travelers felt the same way. For the first half of the week, my wife and I were the only ones nude. The women were topless, but everyone else kept on their bottoms. The people that arrived on the weekend did get nude so maybe it was just timing. At the time we were there, the grill was under construction (Butlers already deliver snacks throughout the afternoon to poolside guests) and they were just talking about where they were going to put the nude "beach". I don't know where they are going to put the hot tub, but I'm not sure it is needed with the Jamaican warmth.
I mentioned that I could have done without the butlers, but they were very nice and tried their best to make life easier and more fun for us. I just happen to be a do-it-yourselfer. The bartender was great as were the security guard and the lifeguard at the Au Natural pool area.
All in all, if you are looking for a nice resort with activities, good food, friendly staff, good entertainment, great views from your room and a little luxury with the butlers and the nice rooms and all you want is an area to do a little nude sunbathing, this place is for you. If you want to have a little more nude activity, like pool volleyball, interacting with fellow naturists, eating your meals nude (the butlers did bring lunch and snacks to us a couple of the days) then this might not be for you. At least not when we were there. It is not like the old Grand Lido with the grill, pool volleyball and the large grass area to walk on. But it is a nice new upscale modern resort.
June 2017 RB Couple
To start I need to point out that this hotel is still in the "Soft Opening" stage . Which means they are still learning/training and there are some serious growing pains that come with a new resort. With that said. The Royalton company needs to inform people of that when they book. It may help to adjust expectations. While we were there they ran out of a lot of stuff. Half the cocktails at the Martini bar were not available. They ran out of Diet Coke and were running low on bottled water. Their top-shelf liquor was running low and some food items were unavailable. This is all part of learning for a new resort but since it takes weeks to get shipments in they need to fix these problems. We originally booked a presidential suite in the Grand Lido building. Due to some mechanical issues our room was not available. We were downgraded to a regular 1 bedroom suite in the Hideaway. So I am posting this review in both resorts since we spent most of our time at Hideaway.
The resort at first, tried a lowball compensation of a couples massage so I had to request dinner at the Chef Experience. I still don't believe the compensation was equal to the difference in the room. But I didn't want to spend my vacation arguing. The hotel is new and modern. The "Point" has beautiful sunset views. If you stay at the Grand Lido you get "Executive" butler service. Which is different than the Butler service at the Royalton. Your butler will do anything to make your stay comfortable. We had Danesha and Anthony who were awesome. They would bring food from any restaurant. Unpack your suitcase. Fold clothes. Bring cocktails from the bar directly to your room. It is an amazing pampered experience. The "Butler" level at Hideaway is more of a concierge who helps book restaurant reservations etc. The company needs to explain that as well. The food was good but not great. Room Service was often wrong or cold or undercooked. We ended up only ordering easy items like sandwiches and desserts from room service.
We have had better food at other AI resorts but we have had worse too. But if they want to be at the 5-star level they need to upgrade room service. The big knock on this resort is boredom. On the Grand Lido side, there was never anyone else at the bar and the design of the pools is ridiculous. There are 3 small pools Swim Up, Lap pool and pool bar. But none of them are connected. And in order to go from the deck down to the pool bar you either go down a steep muddy hill or a steep wooden ramp. The design is horrible. For the Hideaway section, there is a pool bar that is fun but it shuts down at 6. After 6 pm there is no bar open that is adults only. So if you want to have a few cocktails hope you enjoy hanging out with 10-year-olds. In the end: If you have a group of nudists it would be a great idea to all book the Grand Lido and make it your own. Or if you are a nudist who likes to keep to yourself. Grand Lido is perfect.
If you are on your Honeymoon where you like to be out in the day but spend time together at night Hideaway and Grand Lido are great spots. But if you're looking for that Hedo type atmosphere this is not it.
May 2017 E.P. Castaways Client Couple
Beautiful new Resort. Amazing staff- Butler service well worth it and excellent. Great food at all the restaurants.